This article is replacing ‘Travel Tips’ this month.
So you have decided to go on holiday, hope my list of Ten Tips helps you not to forget important things.
- Set up a folder with the print outs of: – e tickets, hotel confirmations, travel insurance documents, photocopies of your passports and telephone numbers of your airline and hotel.
- Give all your holiday details to a close relative, neighbour or friend
- Make sure someone keeps an eye on your house whilst you are away, give someone your key to collect all the mail and to water your plants.
- If you have booked with a travel agent all the arrangements make sure you have their telephone number with you.
- If you have booked all the arrangements yourself – carry with you the details of the local British Consulate (just in case)
- Try and pay as much of your local bills in cash i.e. local currency – this I do to avoid bills when I come home and also reduces the risk of my credit card being cloned in a foreign land.
- Make sure your mobile phone is not set on roaming in order to avoid huge charges. For free Internet go to McDonalds or Starbucks.
- Have warm clothes for when you arrive back in the UK. Those who arrive here in shorts and a T-shirt in mid-winter are asking for sick leave!
- Always drink plenty of bottled water, use sun block and always wear a hat– it is so easy to dehydrate and ruin a good holiday.
- If people want to call you from the UK – then to avoid charges for the incoming calls – get an Ekit sim card